So, you're hosting a show!
First of all thanks for doing this. Here are some reminders to help you manage the session.
As guests arrive, check their settings
***Check to see what roles people are logged in as, make sure everyone who needs to be recorded is a host or a guest.***
- Look at everyone’s microphone setting, make sure if they have a good mic that it is selected.
- For the show open, be sure to set the music in the media browser from Preview to Live
- If anyone is on the iOS app, turn on “do not disturb (or Focus)” – if you get a call during taping it will knock you off the riverside recording.
To turn on “Do not disturb (or Focus),” swipe down from the top right corner, then tap the moon.
- Guests should use a Google Chrome or Edge browser on a laptop or desktop
- Guests should NOT be in an incognito window
- Guests should not have any other video applications open while using Riverside
- Make sure that guests are not running heavy applications while recording on Riverside
- Contact Riverside support at firstname.lastname@example.org if needed. You may also be able to get them in the Riverside chat window in your session.
Troubleshooting mic setup
***If they have a Blue Yeti, here are some things you may need to tell them***
- Tell them to speak into the Blue logo side.
- Mute button should be solid red light. If it’s blinking that means the mic is muted.
- Here’s the Blue Yeti Manual to refresh yourself on the pattern settings. Should be on Cardioid (upside down heart) if there is only one person talking to that mic.
- Gain knob is on the back of the mic (opposite side from the Blue logo).
- If they can’t hear you make sure their headphones are plugged into the Yeti (not their computer) and that their Yeti is set as their output device.
- Tell them to try refreshing their browser window
- Restart their browser
- Restart their computer
- Go to Zoom if all else fails
Ask if they will need music or clips
- Open the Media tab
- Find the music/clip needed
- Flip switch to Live
- Turn volume down to do a test, play it to make sure they can hear it and adjust volume as needed
Just before recording, make these ANNOUNCEMENTS
- This is a lossless recording, meaning your computer is recording you locally and then sending us the clean file.
- Don’t close your browser until I give you the all clear
- Do-over, just say “time out” “lets say that again” etc etc. DON’T WAIT UNTIL THE END
- (if applicable) This episode will come out in the future. So try not to mention the big game tonight, the date, etc.
- If something technically goes wrong don’t worry about it. Just come back to the Riverside link and we will figure out how to start back up.
- Now would be a good time to turn off your mobile phone, close email, slack, apple watch, anything that dings – also any jewelry that may rattle if you talk with your hands
- If there are two guests, remind the host to address their questions to one of them by name.
- For Convenience Matters, remind the host(s) to leave a pause after the short intro to mark the spot for ads or announcements.
- Remind people we are not recording video (unless we are).
- Explain the Mute button
- Is anyone NOT ready to start? Let’s Go!